There are few things that coconut oil can’t do. Packed full of frizz eliminating antimicrobial properties, coconut oil is great for your entire body, but it really shines when incorporated into a hair care routine. Pun intended.
Women have been using coconut oil to fix their hair care woes for decades, maybe longer. As the somewhat recent demand for natural hair care products grew, coconut oil was quick to grab the spotlight.
There are quite a few ways to use coconut oil as a hair care product, some of them work and some deliver disastrous results. We’ve tried them all, and have the top 5 right here.
Note* Those with extremely thin hair might want to steer clear of coconut oil. Even if your hair is dry, it might be too heavy of an oil for you!
The Top 5 Ways To Incorporate Coconut Oil Into Your Hair Care Routine
- Add It To Your Conditioner: While it won’t moisturize on it’s own, coconut oil will add softness and shine to pretty much any head of hair. Apply your conditioner as you normally would, and then layer a tablespoon or two of coconut oil over the top. Let the shower steam heat it for 5 minutes and rinse!
- Add Shine And Fight Frizz: We spend hundreds on shampoos and treatments that promise to deliver shiny, smooth hair. Not anymore! Melt a couple scoops of coconut oil and pour it into a spray bottle. Spritz onto hair from about 6 inches away. Use sparingly. If your bottle clogs or the oil solidifies, you can run the bottle under warm water to loosen it up.
- Hair Mask: Coconut oil makes for an effective, inexpensive hair mask. Avoid your scalp, but rub a bit of coconut oil between your palms and apply it from the roots up. Be sure to use the correct amount for your hair. Too much will take forever to rinse out! Let it sit for up to an hour.
- Protection: With summer upon us, seasalt and chlorine are about to wreak havoc on our precious locks. Avoid summer dry out by applying a small amount of coconut oil to your hair before you swim or hit the beach.
- Fix Split Ends: Nobody likes the frazzled appearance that split ends offer. Between trims, simply rub a little coconut oil into you ends to pull them together and smooth them out.
At Frederick James Salon, we always try to stay up-to-date on the latest styles and trends. So come in today, and prepare your hair for the New Year! No matter what style you’re interested in, we’re here to help.